Two powerful bombs exploded Monday at the Boston Marathon in Boston, killing at least three people including a child and injuring over 100 people. There were over 23,000 participating runners who had already crossed the finish line when the bomb exploded in a garbage can around 2:50 p.m.
Pandemonium erupted as panicked runners and spectators scattered and rescue workers rushed in to care for the injured, some of whom had lost their legs in the blast, witnesses said.
At their final briefing Monday night, officials said that the F.B.I. had taken over the investigation. Richard DesLauriers, the special agent in charge of the Boston office, called it “a criminal investigation that is a potential terrorist investigation.” It was unclear Monday evening who might be responsible for the blast.
There are reports stating that the explosive devices were similar to the devices used in the 1996 attack at the Centennial Olympic Park Bombing in Atlanta but were not nearly as large as the one used in the 1995 attack in Oklahoma City.
In the Atlanta attack, a pipe bomb was detonated near pedestrians, killing two and injuring more than 100 — similar numbers to Monday’s attack.
President Obama gave a statement Monday evening and stated that officials do not know who is behind the attack but vowed that those responsible will “feel the full weight of justice.” The President assured that the administration is mobilizing its “full resources” to help investigate and provide security.