One thing that really annoys me is how often I’m asked the question, “You’re not married yet?” Then when I give them my signature look, their reply is always “I’m just asking…you are getting old you know.”
The truth of the matter is, I’m not one of those women rushing to tie the knot. (I’m only 25 for Pete’s sake!) I’m not saying that I don’t want to be married, because I do, but I’m definitely not rushing it. The whole idea of becoming someone’s wife scares the crap out of me because I don’t want to just be a good wife…I want to be an excellent wife and in order to be that, I believe that I have to be the best me. Marriage is not something to be taken lightly and once that ring is on my finger, I’m in it for life. Before I make a lifelong commitment to someone else, I want to make sure Jessica is straight. Feel me?
I recently read an article about things women should do before they get married and it made me think about things I’d like to do before I devote myself to another human being for life. In no particular order below, check out my list of a few things I’d like to do before I get married!
1. Get my money in order. I don’t think it would be very loving of me to burden my future husband with any debt or credit issues from my past. I’d like to clean things up and go into my marriage with as little personal debt as I possibly can. I’ve already started working on this by the way, future hubby 😉
2. Remain childless. I’m not sure if this will actually happen or not, but I would definitely like it to! I’d prefer to have my first child with my husband by my side and alternating nightly feedings with me. No shade to single mothers, single dads or anyone who has had a child out of wedlock…this is just my personal preference. Having a child and raising a child is hard and I don’t want to increase my chances of doing it alone. I’ve always wanted to start a family this way. If by chance I’m preggo before I take that walk down the aisle, I have to lose the baby weight before the wedding! 😛
3. Live alone. I’ve lived alone since my sophomore year in college but I want to continue to live alone at least until I’m engaged. I tried the shacking up thing and it wasn’t so bad but I don’t want to do that with every guy I date and I’d rather us be in it for the long haul for real, for real before we take a step like that.
4. Rise in my career. I’m pretty new to this entertainment blogging thing and I want to make strides in my career before I settle down. When I settle down, I plan to settle down and devote my life to my family. I can’t be a devoted wife if I’m traveling here and there while my husband is at home taking care of the kids and household alone. I don’t want a life like that. I want to be with my family and witness all the important stuff and if I wait until after I’m in a position to hire people to help me run my business before I settle down, being there with my family will be a lot easier.
5. Know what I want from love and in a marriage. Honestly, sometimes I don’t have the slightest clue what I want out of love and a marriage. I think it’s super important that I know this before getting married. I know that I want something real but as far as kids…my mind changes every day. If I know what I want, it will be a lot easier to fuse with someone who wants the same things.
What about you? If you haven’t tied the knot yet what are some things you’d like to do?