The people at MTV have lost their minds!
Recently, MTV released its annual “Hottest MC’s” list, and it has pissed me off more than ever. Don’t get me wrong though, I’m not writing in support of anybody who didn’t make the list. This is me writing about how their system doesn’t make any kind of sense! The way they choose these people is dumb and it contradicts itself.
Before I begin dissecting this list, I want y’all to understand that I don’t take MTV seriously as and when it comes to music. They know nothing about good music and artists, mainly because they are a mainstream television network. However, that is not an excuse. If you want to know about music, watch Fuse. At least they play a variety of songs from different artists. Now that I have informed you of my position, I shall begin.
Here is this years list:
10. Meek Mill
8. A$AP Rocky
7. Kanye West
6. Big Sean
3. Rick Ross
2. 2 Chainz
1. Kendrick Lamar
Alright, so the problem most people are having with understanding this list is the word “hottest”. Realize that hottest doesn’t mean best, or lyrically gifted. It simply means whoever got the most buzz throughout the year or who made the biggest leap in fame.
Five out of ten people who made the list last year aren’t even on this edition (Nicki Minaj, Lil Wayne, Wale, Jay Z, and Wiz Khalifa). The Brain Trust, the group of bloggers and MTV executives who make the list, take in account how many followers you gained on Twitter and how big of a household name you’ve become over the course of a year. They also look at record sells and what not. This is where the problem begins. If this how they decide who’s on the list and what position, SOME OF THESE PEOPLE DO NOT FIT OR ARE IN THE WRONG SPOT!!
This is my list using the same formula the Brain Trust used with reasoning:
10. Chief Keef: Even though I think he’s missing a few screws, this dude made a name for himself in 2012 and he’s only 17! He went from being a nobody from Chicago, to that crazy dude from Chicago. Need I remind you he was the one who wrote “I Don’t Like,” which was later remixed by Kanye West and the rest of G.O.O.D Music. He also dropped an album, Finally Rich, which had a few hits.
9. Joey Bada$$: Look, the boy is cold! He’s slowly working his way up into the hip hop world. He released Rejex, which was bunch of unreleased songs. He also released The aPROcaplypse, which was a collaboration with his group Pro era.
8. Nas: Nas is lyrically the best rapper alive, and he proved that when he released his latest album, Life is Good. He made a lot of buzz and many people thought it was album of the year material. MTV had him ranked higher, however, we already knew what he was capable of. If this was strictly a lyrics list, he would be number one.
7. Rick Ross: The Boss was every where this year. Not only did he drop a solo album and mixtape, but he also dropped Selfmade: Volume 2 with his Maybach Music artists. He’s even been dodging bullets! I guess he wasn’t lying, them n****s can’t hold him back.
6. A$AP Rocky: Long. Live. A$AP was a good album. A$AP Rocky proved this year he isn’t just another rapper from Harlem. He went from being semi-mainstream to fully mainstream. He even made gold cool again with is hit song “Goldie.”
5. Kanye West: The Rant King did it big in 2012. He had or was featured on more hit songs than anybody. “Mercy” was a hit! “New God Flow” was a hit! “Way to Cold” was a hit! And he also remixed Chief Keef’s song “I Don’t Like”…WHICH WAS AN EVEN BIGGER HIT!! Look, y’all can hate Kanye all y’all want, but the man is a musical genius.
4. Drake: I don’t even care for Drake that much, but saying you don’t like his music is like saying you don’t like bacon. Ole dude is gifted. He was featured on a lot of hit songs such as “F**kin’ Problems,” “No Lie,” “Pop That” and “Poetic Justice.” He didn’t even drop a album this year, but you constantly heard his name. His last album, Take Care, won a Grammy for best rap album.
3. Future: MTV disrespected this man, Future was 2012! His album, Pluto, did alright in sales, however, he makes hits. “Turn on the Lights,” “Neva End” and “Same Damn Time” were always playing on the radio. The man went from making songs like “Tony Montana” to being featured on songs like “Loveeeeeee Song.” He made the biggest leap of fame!
2. 2 Chainz: I know I said Future was 2012, but 2 Chainz shares the crown as well. He was everywhere this year. He dropped hits such as “No Lie,” “Birthday Song” and “I’m Different.” His album, Based on a T.R.U Story was a hit as well. The man was unstoppable.
1. Kendrick Lamar: Kendrick Lamar is the definition of rap music. He set himself apart from other rappers with his album, good kid, M.A.A.D city, which sold the most copies this past year. He not only made hits, but he told stories with his lyrics. “Swimming Pools” and “Poetic Justice” are just a few singles that helped Kendrick make it a very big 2012. If Future and 2 Chainz were 2012, Kendrick Lamar was definitely hip-hop.
This is what their list should have looked like. Honestly though, MTV should just stop making the list in the first place. They never get it right and people like me only care about lyrics. I don’t even listen to half of the people. Most of them are mainstream trash, but that’s is a different article.