I love rocking twist outs on my hair, especially when every strand falls perfectly into place. Many other naturals that I know have a hard time achieving a flawless twist out, but there is hope!
My twist outs are not always flawless, but when I blow my hair out before twisting they look amazing! A blow out is actually my secret weapon to a successful twist out. I know the heat isn’t ideal, but it is truly the only way my twist outs come out the way I want them to without lots of shrinkage and tangles.
Here are the steps I take to create a fab twist out:
1. Start on freshly washed and conditioned hair. I wash my hair every Sunday, but I only use shampoo about once or twice a month. I mostly co-wash and deep condition for about 30 minutes before proceeding to the next step.
2. Divide your hair into manageable sections (I use six) and apply heat protectant to each section.
3. Divide each section into about two or three sections and blow dry your hair using medium heat.
4. Keeping the hair in the same sections, apply your favorite oil (I use olive oil or argan oil) and a creamy-like product to define your twist.
5. Twist your hair and then cover with a satin bonnet overnight.
I know shrinkage is a part of natural hair but I am not a fan! I don’t like shrinkage because I’ve worked hard to maintain my hair and grow it and I want that work to speak for itself, which is why I do twist outs on dry hair. The only time I’ll style my hair wet is when I want it to last for a week or so – which isn’t good for me because my hair will tangle and break off.
If you have any questions, feel free to leave them in the comment section!