Every time the fall rolls around, my sweet tooth gets bigger and bigger!
Out of all the sweet treats autumn brings, choosing just one was the hardest thing to do. But I’ve found one true show stopper and classic dessert that everyone can agree with – mom’s chocolate layered cake!
While a chocolate cake is appropriate for every occasion, everyone’s mother or grandmother puts their own little twist on it. What sets my mother’s cake aside from everyone else’s is her incorporation of strawberries for edible decoration and of course her very own frosting recipe.
So break out those cake pans and get the shopping list ready, your chocolate cravings are about to be satisfied!
Ms. Hayes’ Chocolate Cake
Makes: 8 – 10 servings
Time (including frosting): 2 Hours
For better results use a electric stand mixer and line the bottoms of the pans with parchment paper to make sure each layer of cake comes out of the pan with ease.
You will need:
1 cup milk
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup softened butter
2 cups sugar
3 cups cake flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
5 five egg whites
1/2 pound Strawberries for Garnish
1. Preheat your overn to 350 degrees, grease 3, 8-inch round cake pans, line bottoms with parchment paper, and grease and flour paper.
2. Stir together milk and vanilla.
3. Beat butter in mixer until creamy, slowly add sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy. Sift together flour and powder and add to butter mixture, milk mixture, and finally the flour mixture. Mix at low speed until blended after each addition.
4. Beat egg whites at medium speed until stiff peaks form and gently fold into batter. Pour batter into prepared pans.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick or fork comes out clean. Let pans cool for 10 minutes. Remove cake from the pans to wire racks and discard parchment paper. Let cool for no longer than 40 minutes before applying frosting.
6. Apply frosting to each layer, on both the top and sides of the cake.
Ms. Hayes’ Chocolate Frosting
Makes: 4 Cups
Time: 10 Minutes
You Will Need:
1 stick softened butter
5 squares of semi sweet chocolate
3 cups confection sugar
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Melt butter and chocolate on low heat.
2. Add vanilla, milk and sugar and mix until smooth.
3. Add frosting to each layer of cake.
4. Garnish with strawberries
Do you have a favorite treat for the fall? Tell us about it in the comment section!