I came across some YouTube videos that inspired me to create this post. I couldn’t fit them all into one article, but here are 20 songs that remind me of my middle and high school days.
1. David Banner “Like A Pimp” – This song was like a Jackson anthem back in the day. It’s a little over 10 years old but it still goes hard. Banner and I share the same hometown so I’m familiar with all the areas this video was shot in. I remember everyone being so happy because someone from our city had “made it.”
2. Crime Mob “Knuck If You Buck” – If you were in high school when this song came out, you know how serious things got when it came on. This song is like the definition of what being crunk is. Diamond made the kinky twists a trendy hairstyle. This song came out a few years before I turned 20 so it still counts LOL.
3. Alicia Keys “You Don’t Know My Name” – Oh man, who didn’t fall in love with Alicia Keys when she was at this point in her career? She had me and my friends all rocking cornrows with designs in them. My little sister could always braid so she would do them for me. This song reminds me of my first date on my 16th birthday. My boyfriend at the time reminded me of Mos Def lol.
4. Boyz N Da Hood “Dem Boyz” – Jody Breeze was my favorite out of this group, but clearly Jeezy had the most star potential (and the best ad-libs). If you look closely in the video you’ll see Shay aka Buckeey make and appearance and the black guy from The Walking Dead, I can’t remember his name.
5. Beyonce’ “Check On It” – This is one of Baddie Bey’s most bad videos. She was gorgeous and was the perfect size. Of course I recorded the video on VHS to learn the chair choreography. Don’t judge, I was a dancer back then!
6. Pretty Ricky “Grind With Me” – This used to be one of the ring tones on my phone LOL! Their album was so good, who would’ve thought that we’d never hear from them as a group again?
7. Chris Brown “Yo (Excuse Me Miss)” – Chris Brown was one of the biggest stars of my teenage years. I remember being at a house party and a girl that was trying to date my boyfriend showed up and there was the thickest tension in the room. Every time I hear this song, I’m instantly taken back to that night. Watch the video to see if you can spot one of today’s most well-known reality TV personalities and Chris’ dance moves were on point as always.
8. Lil Scrappy “No Problem” – Scrappy was so skinny, OMG! I bet Momma Dee was somewhere on the video set daring somebody to talk crazy to her baby boy.
9. Destiny’s Child “Cater 2 U” – I’m a Destiny’s Child STAN and my prom dress for senior year was custom designed to look like Beyonce’s. I remember printing off the photos at my job and taking them to the dress designer. He did a great job and the scoop in the back was perfect.
10. Jay Z Feat. Pharrell “Change Clothes” – I’ve always been a fan of these two guys.
11. 3rd Flo “Do The Heizman” – I remember being in the school parking lot doing this dance with my friends. The guys were always better at it than us girls were.
12. J-Kwon “Tipsy” – J-Kwon is the biggest one hit wonder of our generation LOL. But thanks to his contribution to the music industry, I have fond memories of dancing to this song with my friends.
13. Ludacris Feat. Shawnna “What’s Your Fantasy” – I used to sneak and listen to this one.
14. Sean Paul “Gimme The Light” – My dance classmates and I mastered the dances from this video…and all of Sean Paul’s videos to be exact.
15. Jay Z Feat. Beyonce “Bonnie & Clyde” – Beyonce had everyone trying to get those boot heels, I can’t remember what they were called.
16. Chingy “Right Thurr” – Don’t even lie like you didn’t try to learn how to do the chicken head dance!
17. Sean Paul Feat. Sasha “I’m Still In Love With You” – The girl’s booty in this video!!
18. Trey Songz Feat. Twista “Gotta Make It” – I love this song, it made me an instant Trey Songz fan.
19. Nelly “Country Grammar” – One of my friends had the BIGGEST crush on Nelly…she used to have posters of him all over her room. This song was cool and we used to sing it on the bus all the time.
20. Missy Elliott “Gossip Folks” – Missy had the best videos and of course my dance classmates and I learned all the moves.
What songs take you back? Share them with us!